Figure Skating is a sport in which individuals, duos, or groups perform on figure skates on ice. It was the first winter sport included in the Olympics in 1908. The four Olympic disciplines are men’s singles, ladies’ singles, pairs, and ice dancing. Non-Olympic disciplines include synchronized skating and four skatings.
Figure Skating Olympic History
Figure Skating was first introduced as an Olympic sport at the 1908 games in London. Sweden’s Gillis Grafstrom won the first gold medal and was crowned Olympic champion three times: in 1924, 1928, and 1932.
Grafström wasn’t competing in the next Olympics due to an injury, and his spot was taken over by one of his students, Ulrich Salchow. Salchow won the gold medal consecutively in the 1908 and 1920 Olympic games.
What is the difference between Figure Skating and Ice Skating?
Figure skating requires a high degree of athletic skill. It involves spins and jumps, and it is more like dancing than ice skating (which is called “sliding” in figure skating). There are several disciplines: Men’s singles, Ladies’ singles, Pairs, and dance.
2022 Winter Olympics Figure Skating Dates and Venues
The figure skating competitions will take place between the 10th and the 19th of February 2022. Figure skating competitions will be held in Beijing National Ice Center in Yanqing District. The opening ceremony and the gala will take place in Beijing National Stadium (the bird’s nest), located in the Olympic Green.
Olympic Figure Skating Schedule 2022
*All times in Beijing Time. So you need to convert it to your timezone
|Friday, 4 February 2022||10:02 - 11:15||Team Event - Men Single Skating - SP|
|11:41 - 12:54||Team Event - Ice Dance - Rhythm Dance|
|13:22 - 14:55||Team Event - Pair Skating -Short Program|
|Sunday, 6 February 2022||9:37 - 10:50||Team Event - Women Single Skating - SP|
|11:57 - 12:44||Team Event - Pair Skating - Free Skating|
|Monday, 7 February 2022||9:22 - 10:01||Team Event - Men Single Skating - FS|
|10:31 - 11:10||Team Event - Ice Dance - Free Dance|
|11:37 - 12:16||Team Event - Women Single Skating - FS|
|Tuesday, 8 February 2022||9:22 - 13:30||Men Single Skating - Short Program|
|Thursday, 10 February 2022||9:38 - 13:27||Men Single Skating - Free Skating|
|Saturday, 12 February 2022||19:07 - 22:38||Ice Dance - Rhythm Dance|
|Monday, 14 February 2022||9:22 - 12:36||Ice Dance - Free Dance|
|Tuesday, 15 February 2022||18:08 - 22:25||Women Single Skating - Short Program|
|Thursday, 17 February 2022||18:08 - 21:57||Women Single Skating - Free Skating|
|Friday, 18 February 2022||18:38 - 21:43||Pair Skating - Short Program|
|Saturday, 19 February 2022||19:08 - 21:53||Pair Skating - Free Skating|
|Sunday, 20 February 2022||12:00 - 14:30||Exhibition Gala|
*Schedule subject to change
Olympics Figure Skating Live Stream & TV Channels
NBC, NBC Sports Network, USA Network are the official broadcasters for the Olympic Games 2022 in the United States. Eurosport is a European broadcaster covering all four skating events. This channel is available in many countries around the world. Coverage will be broadcast live from 10:00 to 11:30 pm in the UK and Europe.
Figure Skating Rules
- There are 4 Olympic disciplines in figure skating: Ladies singles, Men’s single, Pairs, and Ice dance. To be considered for the Olympics, a skater must have reached the minimum age requirement and be in good health condition.
- Skaters who do figure skating must wear comfortable clothes that allow freedom of movement when performing jumps and spins. They must wear protective gear such as helmets and knee pads to avoid injuries.
- Skaters do not compete against one another but instead perform their routine in groups of different categories, which are divided by age and gender:
- Senior Men (21+ years), Ladies (20+ years)
- Junior Men (17-20 years)
- Juvenile/Cadet Ladies (15-16 years old)
- Pre-Preliminary Men or Pairs of any age.
- To avoid injuries, skaters are not allowed to land on their hands or other body parts except for their feet after jumps. This also helps gain points for other elements if they successfully land with both feet.
- To complete most jumps, skaters must pick up speed by skating in circles before they launch into the jump to gain momentum.
Figure Skating is a sport that requires strength, balance, and athleticism. The 2022 Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing, China. It is the second time figure skating will be part of the Olympics after it was declared an Olympic sport in 1908.
Figure Skating Olympics 2022 is an event that you don’t want to miss. Make sure you catch all the live streaming matches or watch them on TV.